Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Wee Nam Kee

Out of curiosity, we tried Wee Nam Kee for the much celebrated chicken rice when it opened at the Ayala Triangle Garden last December. I'm not really big on the steamed chicken type since I'm biased with the crispy chicken skin ( hello cholesterol) but if I want to go the healthy route with chicken this is the best.

They say the waiting is long so we came in at 11:30 am. We really wanted the roast but no roast is available at that time so we got the steamed chicken rice set , broccoli and tofu for vegetables. The chicken is good, the meat cooked, tender and healthy (haha!). It was tasty even before dipping it in the usual soy ginger sauce and Wee Nam Kee serves it unlimited. Bottles of soy, ginger garlic and chili are provided per table so no need to request for any additional sauce. The chicken rice was okay, I could taste the broth (perhaps where the chicken was cooked along with the other spices) but it has a tendency to be a bit bland for me. And when eaten with the steamed chicken, why do I get the feeling of eating deconstructed arroz caldo? : ) Still, in spite of these comments, I ended up getting another cup of chicken rice.

Steamed Chicken Rice Set









Broccoli with Tofu











I loved the broccoli in this dish , the tofu I was expecting the soft Japanese silken type but I guess it would have collapsed so they used regular tofu instead. It was mildly flavored, low in sodium which I liked and best of all, they didn't scrimp on the broccoli. It was ok but something you can also order in a Chinese restaurant. On our next visit , I will try the roast chicken instead and see how it compares to Tao Yuan, so-called the best Hainanese Chicken in Manila.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time, try the crispy bbq shrimp or something. Manager said it's not on the menu but he let us try it. It's goood:) Pang kanin! haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, i will try that next time, rice kung rice! : )

    ReplyDelete